CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico – Gunmen stormed two neighboring homes and massacred 13 young people at a birthday party in the latest large-scale attack in this violent border city, even as a new government strategy seeks to restore order with social programs and massive police deployments.
Attackers in two vehicles pulled up to the houses in a lower-middle-class Ciudad Juarez neighborhood late Friday and opened fire on about four dozen partygoers gathered for a 15-year-old boy’s birthday party.
The dead identified so far were 13 to 32 years old, including six women and girls, Chihuahua state Attorney General Carlos Salas said. He said 20 people were wounded, including a 9-year-old boy. Most of the victims were high school students, a survivor said.
So we have the opportunity now to start the process of defunding the violent Mexican drug trafficking organizations by eliminating prohibition. But if Prop 19 isn’t exactly what you want, no problem, we’ll wait 2 years, 4 years, 8 years to get started on it.
I’m sure the families of these kids won’t mind.