Former Deputy Drug Czar Andrea Barthwell (more about her here) is the new spokesperson for getting GW Pharmaceuticals’ Sativex approved for use in the United States.
This is SO right for so many wrong reasons.
Andrea has always been willing to sell her services to the right bidder, and then spread whatever lies are necessary, regardless of what she said or believed before. When she went to the Drug Czar’s office, she said it was because she wanted to improve the nation’s emphasis on treatment and then actually went around selling the Drug Czar’s new treatment budget that was increased only because they changed the method of accounting. She went around Illinois spreading lies about marijuana and even lying about her sponsorship. She’s called those who favor medical marijuana cruel, and snake oil salesmen.
She’s just what GW Pharmaceuticals needs.
Here’s what makes all this fun:
So Andrea has started her work.
So just how different is Sativex from marijuana? Rob Kampia has the answer
Has Andrea talked about efforts like GW’s in the past? Let’s take a look back in time:
Not a serious line of research, huh, Andrea? But you’re working for them now. Are you perpetuating a cruel hoax? Are you exploiting compassion for the sick?
Let’s see what else Andrea has had to say about marijuana, the drug she’s now selling in liquid form.
Oh, it’s going to be fun having Andrea around.
What is a “whole plant extract”?
When we talk about a “whole plant extract” we mean an extract of the chosen part of the plant, and here we are talking about the aerial part of the plant, not the roots. We do not actually have to strip one part of the plant away; we are quite content to make extracts from all of the aerial parts of the plant – the leaf and the bud. Since our bud to leaf ratio is ten to one, we do not have much leaf.
By extraction we arrive at a pharmaceutical grade material which is a clear liquid in a bottle and from there we can than proceed to formulation work and continue to incorporate those materials in the appropriate drug delivery modalities.
What are cannabinoids?
What are GW’s medicines?
How is cannabis likely to be administered to patients?
Why not just let patients smoke cannabis?
Are cannabis medicines safe?
Do patients get high?
Is GW looking at different forms of cannabis from those known to recreational users of the drug?
In the cannabis plant, it appears that some of the components added together give better effect. Some components seem to work to counteract some of the side effects of others, and the whole plant is generally well tolerated by humans. The relationship between the dose required for medicine and the dose required to kill somebody is about 20-40,000 times. A standard pharmaceutical ratio might be in the order of 50 or 100, so cannabis is in relative terms very well tolerated.
GW is interested in researching as many of the cannabinoids as possible. We are also interested in some of the non-cannabinoid contents. There are some ingredients in cannabis that have very potent pharmacological activity but which are not cannabinoids.
- DrugWarRant.com, the longest running single-issue blog devoted to drug policy
Join us on Pete's couch.
Send comments, tips,
and suggestions to:
- A Day at the Museum
- A story for Thanksgiving (Isidro and Teresa Aviles)
- Andrea Barthwell, caught red-handed
- Andrea Barthwell, Snake Oil Salesman
- Bong Hits 4 Jesus – Supreme Court Case
- DEA Bad Girl Michele Leonhart
- Deep Thoughts About the Drug War
- Drug War Victims
- Drug War Videos
- Drug WarRant Joins SOPA, PIPA Protest
- Hammer Down, Pop Up
- If I were Contrarian-King of the United States
- Increase in Burger Abuse Seen
- Irvin Rosenfeld and the Compassionate IND — Medical Marijuana Proof and Government Lies
- Karen Tandy and the DEA (Can Congress Get a Clue?)
- Len Bias – the death that ushered in two decades of destruction
- Mother and Son
- Patriot Act, Victory Act, Despot Act
- Petition for Correction under the ONDCP Information Quality Guidelines
- Raich v. Ashcroft
- Rand and American Enterprise Institute Studies – Indictments of Federal Drug Policy
- the Drug Czar is Required by Law to Lie
- Treatment Statistics
- Who’s Who in Drug Prohibition
- Why is Marijuana Illegal?
February 2023 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28