This article was in Rolling Stone last week, and I believe it’s an important read, if you haven’t already…
Of course, it’s more than just weed, and LEAP is on record for being in favor of legalized regulation of all recreational drugs, and these points still hold.
1. It’s about public safety. […]
2. Cops want to focus on crimes that hurt real victims. […]
3. Cops want strong relationships with the communities they serve. […]
4. The war on pot encourages bad â€“ and even illegal â€“ police practices. […]
5. Cops want to stop kids from abusing drugs.
These are good reasons for cops to support legalization, and also very good reasons for the rest of us to want legalization — so that we can work toward restoring a proper relationship between law enforcement and the communities they are sworn to protect and serve.