Let’s take a break from speculating on the next drug czar, and take a moment to speculate on this one.
Sometime in the next 62 days, John Walters is going to resign as Director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy.
So let’s hear your guesses about his future. The winner gets a mug or something (maybe a job as a burrito taster).
1. Walters undoubtedly has his next job already lined up. It could be in a drug testing firm (he’s certainly been selling his soul to promote drug testing and is due some major payback from that industry). It could also be in a company that needs government and international contacts (and while Walters is an idiot, he’s spent years dealing with foreign governments and Presidential-level leaders — former DEA head Karen Tandy got a job with Motorola to take advantage of her foreign contacts).
Name the company that hires him (or at least the field).
2. Speaking of student drug testing and all the people who profit from it, here’s an interesting little organization – the Student Drug Testing Coalition. Check out the list at the bottom of that page — names like Barthwell, DuPont, Nalepka, and more.
When will Walters’ name show up on that list?
3. Walters’ mentor, William Bennett, has made a career of appearing on political gossip TV shows (of course Bennett had more careers than just drug policy). Walters has generally avoided appearances where he might get tough questions.
After he resigns, will he show up on the talk-show circuit or not?
4. During tough economic times, if someone publicly screws up every aspect of their job for years and then resigns, generally you might think that they’d have a hard time finding employment. With all his failures, will Walters be forced to go on unemployment or to ask people if they want fries with their meal?
- DrugWarRant.com, the longest running single-issue blog devoted to drug policy
Join us on Pete's couch.
Send comments, tips,
and suggestions to:
- A Day at the Museum
- A story for Thanksgiving (Isidro and Teresa Aviles)
- Andrea Barthwell, caught red-handed
- Andrea Barthwell, Snake Oil Salesman
- Bong Hits 4 Jesus – Supreme Court Case
- DEA Bad Girl Michele Leonhart
- Deep Thoughts About the Drug War
- Drug War Victims
- Drug War Videos
- Drug WarRant Joins SOPA, PIPA Protest
- Hammer Down, Pop Up
- If I were Contrarian-King of the United States
- Increase in Burger Abuse Seen
- Irvin Rosenfeld and the Compassionate IND — Medical Marijuana Proof and Government Lies
- Karen Tandy and the DEA (Can Congress Get a Clue?)
- Len Bias – the death that ushered in two decades of destruction
- Mother and Son
- Patriot Act, Victory Act, Despot Act
- Petition for Correction under the ONDCP Information Quality Guidelines
- Raich v. Ashcroft
- Rand and American Enterprise Institute Studies – Indictments of Federal Drug Policy
- the Drug Czar is Required by Law to Lie
- Treatment Statistics
- Who’s Who in Drug Prohibition
- Why is Marijuana Illegal?