Let’s take a look at it in basic terms. First — essentially all the violence, from both the drug warriors and the drug traffickers, is a direct result of prohibition. It is a major side effect of the drug war. What is the purpose of the drug war? Well, theoretically, its purpose is to prevent people from using certain drugs. Marijuana, mostly, since that’s the most popular illicit drug. And it’s to prevent people from voluntarily using marijuana (marijuana isn’t like rape or murder or theft — it isn’t done to a person by someone else — it’s a choice).
[Now, forget for a moment the fact that it doesn’t actually work. Assume it does.]
So when you killed Kathryn Johnston, that was to prevent someone from voluntarily smoking marijuana. In other words, you cared more about the supposed harm to a drug user who was doing it to himself, than the life of an innocent person.
How morally bankrupt do you have to be to make such a choice? How many people are you willing to kill to accomplish your goal? How many innocent deaths do you accept in order to stop someone from smoking pot and hanging out on Pete’s couch? If one innocent person dies and 10 people stop smoking pot, is that a good trade-off? How many lives and families are you willing to destroy to stop someone from voluntarily taking heroin?
And horror of horrors, what if (as most certainly is the case), all your killing of innocent people didn’t really have a significant impact on drug use or abuse. When you realize that you have killed these people for nothing… what will you tell their children?
- DrugWarRant.com, the longest running single-issue blog devoted to drug policy
Join us on Pete's couch.
Send comments, tips,
and suggestions to:
- darkcycle on Drug War targets erectile dysfunction pills: “SPAM!” Mar 15, 10:44
- Nasha mukhti kedra bhopal on Drug War targets erectile dysfunction pills: “I also appreciate the way you approached the topic with empathy and compassion. Addiction is a complex issue, and it…” Mar 14, 04:28
- Son of Sam Walton on Alleged cannabis links to psychosis busted: “So, I’ve heard that the dispos rushed in bulk to vote ‘no’ because they were afraid of the higher taxes…” Mar 12, 08:48
- Pete on Drug War targets erectile dysfunction pills: “Thanks as always, Servetus. Good catch, though I suspect the spam filter will be busy once the words “Viagra” and…” Mar 10, 12:26
- NorCalNative on Alleged cannabis links to psychosis busted: “Hey dude. Any thoughts on why legalization lost so badly? That 2-to-1 split surprised me.” Mar 8, 13:53
- Son of Sam Walton on Alleged cannabis links to psychosis busted: “And for all of you into that whole heavy metal hiking/camping out in the thick German forests in the mountains…” Feb 28, 09:15
- Son of Sam Walton on Alleged cannabis links to psychosis busted: “Dogs should be retrained to help their masters find the kindest of kind bud at dispos. Fingers crossed that another…” Feb 28, 09:09
- Servetus on Guy who wants to be in office has ideas about drugs: “Psilocybin helps people eliminate their addiction to nicotine. 24-FEB-2023…Lead author and University of Cincinnati postdoctoral researcher Neşe Devenot said the…” Feb 24, 19:27
- A Day at the Museum
- A story for Thanksgiving (Isidro and Teresa Aviles)
- Andrea Barthwell, caught red-handed
- Andrea Barthwell, Snake Oil Salesman
- Bong Hits 4 Jesus – Supreme Court Case
- DEA Bad Girl Michele Leonhart
- Deep Thoughts About the Drug War
- Drug War Victims
- Drug War Videos
- Drug WarRant Joins SOPA, PIPA Protest
- Hammer Down, Pop Up
- If I were Contrarian-King of the United States
- Increase in Burger Abuse Seen
- Irvin Rosenfeld and the Compassionate IND — Medical Marijuana Proof and Government Lies
- Karen Tandy and the DEA (Can Congress Get a Clue?)
- Len Bias – the death that ushered in two decades of destruction
- Mother and Son
- Patriot Act, Victory Act, Despot Act
- Petition for Correction under the ONDCP Information Quality Guidelines
- Raich v. Ashcroft
- Rand and American Enterprise Institute Studies – Indictments of Federal Drug Policy
- the Drug Czar is Required by Law to Lie
- Treatment Statistics
- Who’s Who in Drug Prohibition
- Why is Marijuana Illegal?