Switching to Washington…
Drug Warrior Mark Souder is holding a hearing in his pet subcommittee — The Committee on Criminal Justice, Drug Policy and Human Resources — titled: “Is There Such a Thing as Safe Drug Abuse?” Have you ever heard such a pre-judged title?
This is what passes for a legislative hearing in Washington. With Souder as chair, this will be just another opportunity to grandstand, and beat up on drug policy reformers, and probably call in resident liar Andrea Barthwell as an “expert” witness.
An appropriate topic would be “Is There Such a Thing as Safe Use of Currently Illegal Drugs?” with Jacob Sullum as one of the witnesses, but that’s not likely to happen.
The session will be at 2:30 Eastern and I don’t know if any of the C-Spans are going to cover it (I’ll be on the road then), but if anyone sees it, I’d love to hear from you.
Update: Apparently the purpose of this hearing is to attack the notion of “harm reduction.” Travesty. And Barthwell and Bensinger (former DEA head and compliant drug warrior) will be witnesses.
- DrugWarRant.com, the longest running single-issue blog devoted to drug policy
Join us on Pete's couch.
Send comments, tips,
and suggestions to:
- A Day at the Museum
- A story for Thanksgiving (Isidro and Teresa Aviles)
- Andrea Barthwell, caught red-handed
- Andrea Barthwell, Snake Oil Salesman
- Bong Hits 4 Jesus – Supreme Court Case
- DEA Bad Girl Michele Leonhart
- Deep Thoughts About the Drug War
- Drug War Victims
- Drug War Videos
- Drug WarRant Joins SOPA, PIPA Protest
- Hammer Down, Pop Up
- If I were Contrarian-King of the United States
- Increase in Burger Abuse Seen
- Irvin Rosenfeld and the Compassionate IND — Medical Marijuana Proof and Government Lies
- Karen Tandy and the DEA (Can Congress Get a Clue?)
- Len Bias – the death that ushered in two decades of destruction
- Mother and Son
- Patriot Act, Victory Act, Despot Act
- Petition for Correction under the ONDCP Information Quality Guidelines
- Raich v. Ashcroft
- Rand and American Enterprise Institute Studies – Indictments of Federal Drug Policy
- the Drug Czar is Required by Law to Lie
- Treatment Statistics
- Who’s Who in Drug Prohibition
- Why is Marijuana Illegal?