Marijuana legalization activists in the nationâ€™s capital plan to hand out thousands of joints during President-elect Donald Trumpâ€™s inauguration as a way to raise awareness of about the fragility of legal pot under his administration.
The advocacy group behind the ballot initiative that legalized pot in Washington, D.C., in 2014 will take to the streets Jan. 20 to give away 4,200 joints â€” or somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 ounces of marijuana.
â€œWe are forced to do this type of publicity stunt because the Trump administration hasnâ€™t mentioned marijuana once since he was elected,â€ said DCMJ founder Adam Eidinger. â€œIt reminds people that the public wants change, and the politicians arenâ€™t doing it.â€
The giveaway raises awareness on two distinct fronts â€” first the fact that despite D.C. voters legalizing marijuana in 2014, it remains illegal to buy or sell the drug in the nationâ€™s capital because of action taken by Congress that bans local lawmakers from passing new marijuana laws. Secondly, activists hope to align with Trump supporters who also support marijuana legalization in their home states so they can work together to push the Republican administration to expand legalization and address outstanding regulations that hinder pot-related businesses.
- DrugWarRant.com, the longest running single-issue blog devoted to drug policy
Join us on Pete's couch.
Send comments, tips,
and suggestions to:
- A Day at the Museum
- A story for Thanksgiving (Isidro and Teresa Aviles)
- Andrea Barthwell, caught red-handed
- Andrea Barthwell, Snake Oil Salesman
- Bong Hits 4 Jesus – Supreme Court Case
- DEA Bad Girl Michele Leonhart
- Deep Thoughts About the Drug War
- Drug War Victims
- Drug War Videos
- Drug WarRant Joins SOPA, PIPA Protest
- Hammer Down, Pop Up
- If I were Contrarian-King of the United States
- Increase in Burger Abuse Seen
- Irvin Rosenfeld and the Compassionate IND — Medical Marijuana Proof and Government Lies
- Karen Tandy and the DEA (Can Congress Get a Clue?)
- Len Bias – the death that ushered in two decades of destruction
- Mother and Son
- Patriot Act, Victory Act, Despot Act
- Petition for Correction under the ONDCP Information Quality Guidelines
- Raich v. Ashcroft
- Rand and American Enterprise Institute Studies – Indictments of Federal Drug Policy
- the Drug Czar is Required by Law to Lie
- Treatment Statistics
- Who’s Who in Drug Prohibition
- Why is Marijuana Illegal?