How did I manage to miss the fact that one of the top progressive political blogging sites is planning a legalization campaign? I’ve not really followed Jane Hamsher’s FireDogLake much, although I’ve been aware that she’s often worked with civil liberties defender extraordinaire Glenn Greenwald, which makes her a good guy in my book.
Anyway, Jane is holding a contest:
We need a great name for our marijuana campaign.
Some suggested that we simply appropriate the â€œyes we cannabisâ€ slogan that other campaigns have used, but after perusing a bunch of old High Times covers I became convinced that our readers, inspired by the subject matter, could easily surpass that. So here are the rules:
- All entries must be submitted in the form below by 8pm ET tomorrow night. [that’s tonight – Wednesday]
- Slogan must be no longer than 5 words â€” should be able to fit on a bumper sticker or a t-shirt.
- Semi-final voting will begin tomorrow night at 8pm, when weâ€™ll be here at Late Nite once again to let everyone know what the entries are. Voting will close at 8pm the following night.
- The top 10 vote getters will proceed to the finals on Thursday Night Late Night, and voting will continue through the weekend.
- Weâ€™ll announce the Gold, Silver and Bronze medalists at Late Nite a week from tonight.
Remember â€” the campaign is not aimed at babes in bikinis roller skating on the Venice boardwalk. Well, not exclusively anyway. When marijuana legislation goes on the ballot in November and beyond, many voters are older and likely to be persuaded more by pragmatism than stoner puns. But, hell. Who are we to limit anyoneâ€™s creativity.
If you’ve got some ideas, get over there and suggest. There are prizes.
Update: Jane Hamsher’s post about the contest tonight gives the list of entries so far and extends the contest until tomorrow night.