Even though drug policy reform is a logical position for liberals in many ways, it has been very hard to get any traction publicly in liberal strongholds, as they have tended to vacillate between trying to be as ‘tough’ (stupid) as Republicans and avoiding ‘distractions’ from accomplishing things that would help people(!) In the process, they have taken a pass on addressing racism, helping the environment, and stopping the disenfranchisement of their own voters, among other travesties.
So it’s nice to see a front page article at Daily Kos by Jed L on the 75 year anniversary of alcohol prohibition and its connection to drug prohibition (referring to Nadelmann’s OpEd).
And the extensive comments so far are coming in very strongly for ending prohibition, more so, in my opinion, than they would have a couple of years ago. The few that are naturally uncertain, are being rather intelligently schooled by other commenters.
- DrugWarRant.com, the longest running single-issue blog devoted to drug policy
Join us on Pete's couch.
Send comments, tips,
and suggestions to:
- A Day at the Museum
- A story for Thanksgiving (Isidro and Teresa Aviles)
- Andrea Barthwell, caught red-handed
- Andrea Barthwell, Snake Oil Salesman
- Bong Hits 4 Jesus – Supreme Court Case
- DEA Bad Girl Michele Leonhart
- Deep Thoughts About the Drug War
- Drug War Victims
- Drug War Videos
- Drug WarRant Joins SOPA, PIPA Protest
- Hammer Down, Pop Up
- If I were Contrarian-King of the United States
- Increase in Burger Abuse Seen
- Irvin Rosenfeld and the Compassionate IND — Medical Marijuana Proof and Government Lies
- Karen Tandy and the DEA (Can Congress Get a Clue?)
- Len Bias – the death that ushered in two decades of destruction
- Mother and Son
- Patriot Act, Victory Act, Despot Act
- Petition for Correction under the ONDCP Information Quality Guidelines
- Raich v. Ashcroft
- Rand and American Enterprise Institute Studies – Indictments of Federal Drug Policy
- the Drug Czar is Required by Law to Lie
- Treatment Statistics
- Who’s Who in Drug Prohibition
- Why is Marijuana Illegal?