My show opens tomorrow night. I’m exhausted, but having a blast. Here’s a couple of quick items for you.
“bullet” As usual, Maia Szalavitz is outstanding: The Federalization of Medicine
The pain issue shows why medical policy should be left to the states. in Reason.
“bullet” Those wacky scientists! Harvard Scientists Build a Device to Smoke Weed During Brain Scan
“bullet” Obama feeling the pressure? Could it be that being behind on drug policy reform was actually hurting him a little? That’s interesting.
To be honest, I don’t expect the next President to be much help to us, regardless of who it is (with the exception of Paul). They’re all going to have their Karl Rove who will tell them to avoid reform like the plague. Change is going to have to come from the will of the people forcing it.
But I can’t remember any Presidential election when drug policy reform was talked about even a fraction as much by the candidates. It’s a healthy thing and gets the subject in the public eye. But it also may mean that the people are starting to “get” reform and the candidates are being forced to follow (at least in talk); additionally, the topic may be starting to lose its “taboo” status.
And just idle curiosity… I wonder if Obama got a chance to see the YouTube video of Ron Paul getting a huge ovation from a mostly black audience by calling for an end to the drug war.
“bullet” Good news. At the United Nations every-10-years drug conference in Vienna in March, 2008, we’ll have a tireless advocate for reform representing us — one who speaks four languages and can saddle a horse. Let’s see if UNODC’s Costa can top that!
- DrugWarRant.com, the longest running single-issue blog devoted to drug policy
Join us on Pete's couch.
Send comments, tips,
and suggestions to:
- A Day at the Museum
- A story for Thanksgiving (Isidro and Teresa Aviles)
- Andrea Barthwell, caught red-handed
- Andrea Barthwell, Snake Oil Salesman
- Bong Hits 4 Jesus – Supreme Court Case
- DEA Bad Girl Michele Leonhart
- Deep Thoughts About the Drug War
- Drug War Victims
- Drug War Videos
- Drug WarRant Joins SOPA, PIPA Protest
- Hammer Down, Pop Up
- If I were Contrarian-King of the United States
- Increase in Burger Abuse Seen
- Irvin Rosenfeld and the Compassionate IND — Medical Marijuana Proof and Government Lies
- Karen Tandy and the DEA (Can Congress Get a Clue?)
- Len Bias – the death that ushered in two decades of destruction
- Mother and Son
- Patriot Act, Victory Act, Despot Act
- Petition for Correction under the ONDCP Information Quality Guidelines
- Raich v. Ashcroft
- Rand and American Enterprise Institute Studies – Indictments of Federal Drug Policy
- the Drug Czar is Required by Law to Lie
- Treatment Statistics
- Who’s Who in Drug Prohibition
- Why is Marijuana Illegal?