Tony Newman has an excellent piece at AlterNet: The Top 10 Things I Know About Drugs
- Drugs are everywhere….
- Different people have different relationships with different drugs….
- People use drugs for joy and for pain….
- Drug abuse does not discriminate, but our drug policies do. …
- Relapse happens. …
- Smoking five cigarettes is better than smoking 20. Using marijuana is better than using heroin….
- Drug abuse is bad, but the drug war is worse….
- Prohibition doesn’t work. Prohibition is responsible for most of the violence associated with drugs….
- Drugs and the drug war touch most families…
- We have to learn how to live with drugs, because they aren’t going anywhere….
*Bonus point: The public is ahead of the politicians….