Via Hit and Run
The Drug Policy Alliance has released their new 2006 Drug Policy Reform Congressional Voter Guide: A Survey of the U.S. House of Representatives on Drug Policy Reform (PDF file)
It’s a wonderful report. I had worked on putting together state by state voting guides in 2004 — a lot of work. What the Drug Policy Alliance has put together is a great start, focusing on six votes in the House of Representatives.
The best of the best (based on voting record and bills sponsored) included: 2005 Champion: Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-18th/TX); 2005 Heroes: Rep. John Conyers (D-14th/MI), Rep. Sam Farr (D-17th/CA), Rep. Jeff Flake (R-6th/AZ), Rep. Barney Frank (D-14th MA), Rep. Alcee Hastings (D-23rd/FL), Rep. Maurice Hinchey (D-22nd/NY), Rep. Ron Paul (R-14th/TX), Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R-46th/CA), and Rep. Bobby Scott (D-3rd/VA; Honorable Mention: Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-3rd/OR), Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-10th/OH), Rep. John Olver (D-1st/MA), Rep. James McGovern (D-3rd/MA), Rep. George Miller (D-7th/CA), Rep. Martin Olav Sabo (D-5th/MN), Rep. Linda Sanchez (D-39th/CA), Rep. John Tierney (D-6th/MA), Rep. Diane Watson (D-33/CA), Rep. Julia Carson (D-7th/IN), Rep. Al Green (D-9th/TX), Rep. Barbara Lee (D-9th/CA), Rep. Charles Rangel (D-15th/NY), Rep. Janice Schakowsky (D-9th/IL), and Rep. Lynn Woolsey (D-6th/CA).
Naturally, my Representative — Weller (R-11th/IL) — is in the worst category, with a voting record of 1 out of 6. (Nobody got 0 of 6, because one of the votes that the Drug Policy Alliance used was a minor adjustment to treatment rules that received a unanimous vote in the House.)
How did your Rep score?
- DrugWarRant.com, the longest running single-issue blog devoted to drug policy
Join us on Pete's couch.
Send comments, tips,
and suggestions to:
- A Day at the Museum
- A story for Thanksgiving (Isidro and Teresa Aviles)
- Andrea Barthwell, caught red-handed
- Andrea Barthwell, Snake Oil Salesman
- Bong Hits 4 Jesus – Supreme Court Case
- DEA Bad Girl Michele Leonhart
- Deep Thoughts About the Drug War
- Drug War Victims
- Drug War Videos
- Drug WarRant Joins SOPA, PIPA Protest
- Hammer Down, Pop Up
- If I were Contrarian-King of the United States
- Increase in Burger Abuse Seen
- Irvin Rosenfeld and the Compassionate IND — Medical Marijuana Proof and Government Lies
- Karen Tandy and the DEA (Can Congress Get a Clue?)
- Len Bias – the death that ushered in two decades of destruction
- Mother and Son
- Patriot Act, Victory Act, Despot Act
- Petition for Correction under the ONDCP Information Quality Guidelines
- Raich v. Ashcroft
- Rand and American Enterprise Institute Studies – Indictments of Federal Drug Policy
- the Drug Czar is Required by Law to Lie
- Treatment Statistics
- Who’s Who in Drug Prohibition
- Why is Marijuana Illegal?