With all the demonization of medical marijuana by the federal government, it’s important to remember now and then that the feds have been growing marijuana, rolling and packaging marijuana cigarettes, and supplying canisters of this medical marijuana to patients since the mid-1970s.
It was part of the “compassionate use” program. Unfortunately it’s been discontinued so that no new patients are accepted, but they continue supplying the original handful until they die (something the feds likely hope happens soon).
Nikkie at Vice Squad has the info on one of these patients who won the right to fly on airlines with his marijuana.
The NIDA website contains some interesting information about the issues related to their growing methods at the University of Mississippi.
Of course, just like in Canada, the feds have not shown an ability to grow or roll very good pot – even for medical purposes.
Additionally, the government has a monopoly on marijuana for research purposes. If you want to do a study on marijuana, not only do you have to go through years of jumping through hoops and a horrific approval process (one that’s much easier if you’re a drug company or someone trying to find negative effects of marijuana), but you have to use the crap they grow at the University of Mississippi (forget using a high-quality, high-potency marijuana that might deliver better results with less smoking.
- DrugWarRant.com, the longest running single-issue blog devoted to drug policy
Join us on Pete's couch.
Send comments, tips,
and suggestions to:
- A Day at the Museum
- A story for Thanksgiving (Isidro and Teresa Aviles)
- Andrea Barthwell, caught red-handed
- Andrea Barthwell, Snake Oil Salesman
- Bong Hits 4 Jesus – Supreme Court Case
- DEA Bad Girl Michele Leonhart
- Deep Thoughts About the Drug War
- Drug War Victims
- Drug War Videos
- Drug WarRant Joins SOPA, PIPA Protest
- Hammer Down, Pop Up
- If I were Contrarian-King of the United States
- Increase in Burger Abuse Seen
- Irvin Rosenfeld and the Compassionate IND — Medical Marijuana Proof and Government Lies
- Karen Tandy and the DEA (Can Congress Get a Clue?)
- Len Bias – the death that ushered in two decades of destruction
- Mother and Son
- Patriot Act, Victory Act, Despot Act
- Petition for Correction under the ONDCP Information Quality Guidelines
- Raich v. Ashcroft
- Rand and American Enterprise Institute Studies – Indictments of Federal Drug Policy
- the Drug Czar is Required by Law to Lie
- Treatment Statistics
- Who’s Who in Drug Prohibition
- Why is Marijuana Illegal?