Drug War Victims
Our drug war results in staggeringly tragic losses. Drugs, when abused, can be dangerous, but they are not nearly as lethal as the drug war itself.
In addition to the blights of an imprisoned population, lost rights, broken families, and economic waste, people are dying in this war. No, these are not deaths from drugs, but from prohibition.
It is important to realize that the vast majority of deaths on the drug war simply would not happen without prohibition. When drug dealers fight it out over territory and they or their neighbors are killed in the process, it is a sympton of prohibition, much as when we suffered the scourge of alcohol prohibition many years ago. Prohibition makes violence profitable.
When drug users overdose from tainted drugs, it is the result of prohibition. When they die from overdoses because they were afraid to seek help, it is the result of prohibition.
Increasingly, people are dying because of the tactics of the drug war. Military operations are being conducted on our soil, and collateral damage is inevitable.
When drug task forces dressed in black batter in doors without knocking or announcing themselves, the danger to citizens and police alike is enormous. Sometimes the greatest danger is to (or from) the innocent citizen that understandably believes that they are experiencing a home invasion, and rushes to defend their family and property.
Every now and then, a death happens that is particularly grotesque — that points out the horrific folly of our actions. Drug WarRant has started a page to memorialize these tragedies. Unfortunately, it is a page that will be continually updated.
— “Drug War Victims” —
- DrugWarRant.com, the longest running single-issue blog devoted to drug policy
Join us on Pete's couch.
Send comments, tips,
and suggestions to:
- Servetus on I really thought I was done hearing that name: “Researchers in Indianapolis have altered the molecular structure of CBD to produce more effective antidotes for opioid overdoses than the…” Mar 28, 15:19
- Servetus on I really thought I was done hearing that name: “Yeah, too bad about Mechoulam. I haven’t taken DMT either. As I recall, the drug was introduced to the market…” Mar 28, 15:01
- Son of Sam Walton on Drug War targets erectile dysfunction pills: ““Momma’s Lemon Pound Cake–It tastes so nice . . . It made the Sheriff want to put down his gun…” Mar 28, 07:43
- NorCalNative on I really thought I was done hearing that name: “I lack personal knowledge of DMT. I would like to change that someday, given the opportunity. I’ve watched YouTube videos…” Mar 24, 13:26
- Servetus on I really thought I was done hearing that name: “Overdose death rates spike in categories related to race, gender and location: 22-MAR-23…extracting rates by race and gender in all…” Mar 23, 13:34
- Servetus on I really thought I was done hearing that name: “Genetics plays a major role in the addiction process: 22-MAR-2023…“This study represents a major advance in understanding how genetic factors…” Mar 23, 12:58
- Servetus on I really thought I was done hearing that name: “How DMT alters perceptions of reality: 20-MAR-2023 – In a study at Imperial College London, detailed brain imaging data from…” Mar 23, 12:32
- darkcycle on Drug War targets erectile dysfunction pills: “SPAM!” Mar 15, 10:44
- A Day at the Museum
- A story for Thanksgiving (Isidro and Teresa Aviles)
- Andrea Barthwell, caught red-handed
- Andrea Barthwell, Snake Oil Salesman
- Bong Hits 4 Jesus – Supreme Court Case
- DEA Bad Girl Michele Leonhart
- Deep Thoughts About the Drug War
- Drug War Victims
- Drug War Videos
- Drug WarRant Joins SOPA, PIPA Protest
- Hammer Down, Pop Up
- If I were Contrarian-King of the United States
- Increase in Burger Abuse Seen
- Irvin Rosenfeld and the Compassionate IND — Medical Marijuana Proof and Government Lies
- Karen Tandy and the DEA (Can Congress Get a Clue?)
- Len Bias – the death that ushered in two decades of destruction
- Mother and Son
- Patriot Act, Victory Act, Despot Act
- Petition for Correction under the ONDCP Information Quality Guidelines
- Raich v. Ashcroft
- Rand and American Enterprise Institute Studies – Indictments of Federal Drug Policy
- the Drug Czar is Required by Law to Lie
- Treatment Statistics
- Who’s Who in Drug Prohibition
- Why is Marijuana Illegal?