Have a wonderful day and spend a little time enjoying some turkey instead of dealing with them.
This is an opportunity, however – you have a group ready to be converted to drug policy reform.
- When the subject turns to health care, you can say “I think the government should give heroin away for free!” Great conversation starter.
- Or head over to the kids table and ask them whether the drug dealers at school check for age I.D. when selling them marijuana.
- When the adults are stuffed after the huge dinner, are sitting in the easy chairs and have eyelids drooping from all the tryptophan in their system, ask them what makes them any better than lazy potheads.
- Offer to give grace before the meal and then give thanks that none of your family have been decapitated by drug lords in Mexico or shot by drug gangs, that none of you are serving time in prison, and that you’re not black, so you’re less likely to be a target. (If you are black, then give thanks that they haven’t found you yet.)
- Offer to pour the wine, and as you do so, ask each person first “Hey, you want some drugs?”
- When everyone’s watching TV, take bets on how many drug commercials will be shown.
[Important note: the above suggestions may not work with all Thanksgiving gatherings. Use discretion.]
Or… you could simply find a time in conversation to say… “This year, I’ve been studying drug policy and have learned a lot about what’s going wrong with our current policies. Is anyone else interested in this subject?”