With the Democrats taking the House, the biggest thing to happen is a shift in committee chairs. The new head of the House Government Reform Committee (which includes Drug Policy) will most certainly be Henry Waxman (CA).
Waxman voted in favor of the Hinchey Amendment to prevent the feds from interfering with medical marijuana states. He also voted to cut funding to Plan Colombia, and voted against increasing Byrne Justice Assistance grant funding.
Representative Waxman has also been an outspoken critic of the Administration’s use of propaganda, raising “concerns about whether Administration officials improperly used taxpayer funds to pay for efforts to influence public opinion.” Hmm… seems like a match made in heaven for investigating the ONDCP’s interference with state initiatives.
I don’t know who will be the Chair of the Subcommittee on Criminal Justice, Drug Policy, and Human Resources, but it won’t be Souder any more! (although he did win re-election to the House)
Via Scott at StopTheDrugWar.org, I see that Oklahoma moron first class Earnest Istook, who dropped out of the House to run for Governor, was demolished and will have to give up on his attempts to destroy the constitution in the name of the drug war.
- DrugWarRant.com, the longest running single-issue blog devoted to drug policy
Join us on Pete's couch.
Send comments, tips,
and suggestions to:
- A Day at the Museum
- A story for Thanksgiving (Isidro and Teresa Aviles)
- Andrea Barthwell, caught red-handed
- Andrea Barthwell, Snake Oil Salesman
- Bong Hits 4 Jesus – Supreme Court Case
- DEA Bad Girl Michele Leonhart
- Deep Thoughts About the Drug War
- Drug War Victims
- Drug War Videos
- Drug WarRant Joins SOPA, PIPA Protest
- Hammer Down, Pop Up
- If I were Contrarian-King of the United States
- Increase in Burger Abuse Seen
- Irvin Rosenfeld and the Compassionate IND — Medical Marijuana Proof and Government Lies
- Karen Tandy and the DEA (Can Congress Get a Clue?)
- Len Bias – the death that ushered in two decades of destruction
- Mother and Son
- Patriot Act, Victory Act, Despot Act
- Petition for Correction under the ONDCP Information Quality Guidelines
- Raich v. Ashcroft
- Rand and American Enterprise Institute Studies – Indictments of Federal Drug Policy
- the Drug Czar is Required by Law to Lie
- Treatment Statistics
- Who’s Who in Drug Prohibition
- Why is Marijuana Illegal?