I’ve held off saying too much about the Supreme Court nominee, waiting for more information. Unfortunately, he doesn’t have that much of a judicial record, so he’s a bit of a stealth candidate, but based on this post by TalkLeft, I feel confident in saying that John Roberts is not who we want on the Supreme Court.
We already have a court that has too often sided with the government over the individual, eroding our rights as free citizens — particularly 4th Amendment rights. All the government has to do is say “drug war” and the Supremes roll over and say, “Well, in that case, certainly you should take away more constitutional rights,” regardless of whether the policy even works.
It appears from his record that John Roberts will actually be eager to join in this shredding of the Bill of Rights, and may even become a leader in this effort.
He should not be confirmed.
- DrugWarRant.com, the longest running single-issue blog devoted to drug policy
Join us on Pete's couch.
Send comments, tips,
and suggestions to:
- A Day at the Museum
- A story for Thanksgiving (Isidro and Teresa Aviles)
- Andrea Barthwell, caught red-handed
- Andrea Barthwell, Snake Oil Salesman
- Bong Hits 4 Jesus – Supreme Court Case
- DEA Bad Girl Michele Leonhart
- Deep Thoughts About the Drug War
- Drug War Victims
- Drug War Videos
- Drug WarRant Joins SOPA, PIPA Protest
- Hammer Down, Pop Up
- If I were Contrarian-King of the United States
- Increase in Burger Abuse Seen
- Irvin Rosenfeld and the Compassionate IND — Medical Marijuana Proof and Government Lies
- Karen Tandy and the DEA (Can Congress Get a Clue?)
- Len Bias – the death that ushered in two decades of destruction
- Mother and Son
- Patriot Act, Victory Act, Despot Act
- Petition for Correction under the ONDCP Information Quality Guidelines
- Raich v. Ashcroft
- Rand and American Enterprise Institute Studies – Indictments of Federal Drug Policy
- the Drug Czar is Required by Law to Lie
- Treatment Statistics
- Who’s Who in Drug Prohibition
- Why is Marijuana Illegal?