Libby at Last One Speaks has this story about Marc
Craven Caven, a career snitch who uses entrapment as his normal method of operation.
Here’s what he does. After getting hired by a police force, he goes looking for people who are working minimum wage jobs. Using fake business cards identifying himself as John King of Evergreen Construction and Landscaping, he offers them a high paying construction job. While stringing them along on the job offer, he asks them to buy him some pot. They do it in order to get a better job, but get arrested instead.
Caven’s been doing this in Oregon for over 32 years, and while a lot of cases have gotten thrown out of court (and despite Caven’s own criminal record), police forces continue to hire him and some poor hard-working employed citizens get their lives destroyed because they were offered a chance for a better job.
The real criminals here are the police departments and drug task forces who hired Caven, along with the district attorneys who prosecuted the cases.
As one defense attorney said: “The job of law enforcement is to catch criminals, not create them.”
Read the whole article
Update: Article had the name spelled both Craven and Caven. The name appears to be Caven, the activity craven.
- DrugWarRant.com, the longest running single-issue blog devoted to drug policy
Join us on Pete's couch.
Send comments, tips,
and suggestions to:
- A Day at the Museum
- A story for Thanksgiving (Isidro and Teresa Aviles)
- Andrea Barthwell, caught red-handed
- Andrea Barthwell, Snake Oil Salesman
- Bong Hits 4 Jesus – Supreme Court Case
- DEA Bad Girl Michele Leonhart
- Deep Thoughts About the Drug War
- Drug War Victims
- Drug War Videos
- Drug WarRant Joins SOPA, PIPA Protest
- Hammer Down, Pop Up
- If I were Contrarian-King of the United States
- Increase in Burger Abuse Seen
- Irvin Rosenfeld and the Compassionate IND — Medical Marijuana Proof and Government Lies
- Karen Tandy and the DEA (Can Congress Get a Clue?)
- Len Bias – the death that ushered in two decades of destruction
- Mother and Son
- Patriot Act, Victory Act, Despot Act
- Petition for Correction under the ONDCP Information Quality Guidelines
- Raich v. Ashcroft
- Rand and American Enterprise Institute Studies – Indictments of Federal Drug Policy
- the Drug Czar is Required by Law to Lie
- Treatment Statistics
- Who’s Who in Drug Prohibition
- Why is Marijuana Illegal?