“Mexican cartels gearing up for new payday: abortion pills”
- DrugWarRant.com, the longest running single-issue blog devoted to drug policy
Join us on Pete's couch.
Send comments, tips,
and suggestions to:
- Great Harry's Ghost! on Do Cheech and Chong roll his joints?: “aye! Or rolling down the windows and opening the wind wings… (auld phart reference)” May 27, 16:48
- Servetus on He’s back: “Police in Uttar Pradesh, India, say rats ate over 500 kilograms of seized weed. The court wanted proof. Could researchers…” May 27, 12:46
- Servetus on Do Cheech and Chong roll his joints?: “Research conducted in San Francisco on psilocybin treatment for depression indicates its use does not interfere with or complicate the…” May 27, 12:13
- NorCalNative on Do Cheech and Chong roll his joints?: “The body gets rid 0f toxic alcohol, and stores non-toxic cannabinoids in fatty tissue. Fuck what’s in the breath and…” May 26, 20:30
- Servetus on Do Cheech and Chong roll his joints?: “The long sought marijuana breathalyzer is still a long way from realization. The government wants a technology to test drivers…” May 22, 22:26
- Servetus on He’s back: “Former ONDCP Director John P. Walters has a few credibility problems. One is he’s now the CEO of a neocon…” May 18, 07:26
- Servetus on FDA approves over-the-counter Narcan: “Researchers in Bangkok, Thailand have developed an edible coating made from encapsulated CBD that can preserve freshness in strawberries: 17-MAY-2023…” May 17, 20:31
- Spade Dude on Do Cheech and Chong roll his joints?: “Three Camberwell Carrots = at least two oz.” May 15, 05:59
- A Day at the Museum
- A story for Thanksgiving (Isidro and Teresa Aviles)
- Andrea Barthwell, caught red-handed
- Andrea Barthwell, Snake Oil Salesman
- Bong Hits 4 Jesus – Supreme Court Case
- DEA Bad Girl Michele Leonhart
- Deep Thoughts About the Drug War
- Drug War Victims
- Drug War Videos
- Drug WarRant Joins SOPA, PIPA Protest
- Hammer Down, Pop Up
- If I were Contrarian-King of the United States
- Increase in Burger Abuse Seen
- Irvin Rosenfeld and the Compassionate IND — Medical Marijuana Proof and Government Lies
- Karen Tandy and the DEA (Can Congress Get a Clue?)
- Len Bias – the death that ushered in two decades of destruction
- Mother and Son
- Patriot Act, Victory Act, Despot Act
- Petition for Correction under the ONDCP Information Quality Guidelines
- Raich v. Ashcroft
- Rand and American Enterprise Institute Studies – Indictments of Federal Drug Policy
- the Drug Czar is Required by Law to Lie
- Treatment Statistics
- Who’s Who in Drug Prohibition
- Why is Marijuana Illegal?
Mexican cartels might smuggle RU-486 pills if that’s all that’s preferred by women. A commercially packaged variety of abortifacient might not do so well against natural varieties if smuggling pills becomes necessary. The current retail price of about $25 per tablet might be undercut by cartels as an incentive to go black market. They’ll need to compete with natural products as well.
For centuries women have been forced to take charge of their own body chemistry with regard to birthing. In locations like the Caribbean and North Africa there is a long folk history of using plants to interrupt a pregnancy. Knowledge of these plants and their effects will spread now that the moral supremacists on the Supreme Court have made their fateful decision.
For starters, there’s a flower found growing in neighborhoods in California and elsewhere called the Bird of Paradise whose seeds are known to work as needed. We should soon be seeing many of the specific details like dosages and so forth emerging regarding this and other plants.
And just in time, scientists have developed a new substance that can help counter unplanned pregnancies if enough people choose to take responsibility for it. They’ve discovered what appears to be the long sought and perfectly convenient male contraceptive. The substance, called YCT529, prevents a particular chemical reaction necessary for sperm production. It inhibits the binding of retinoic acid, a type of Vitamin A, to retinoic acid receptors. It’s not hormonal, so it bypasses the types of problems women have with hormonal-based contraceptives. Tested in mice so far, its developers say it’s 99% effective. There are no observed side effects, and sperm levels return to their previous levels after ceasing use. If YCT529 is made available over the counter for everyone just like condoms, abortions and abortifacients could become less important. Otherwise, as with cannabis in some cases, a trip to the garden may be in order.
A problem of long standing….we have known for a long time that a large percentage of men, who have nothing at risk, will not take a pill form contraceptive. This has come to light in many surveys, and the odds are that that percentage is under reported.
Marketing is always the challenge. Men might not take the pill form, but if YCT529 were mixed with alcohol or cannabis infused gummy bears, the story might be different. Pills are mentally associated with maladies, while alcohol and weed are associated with happy celebrations. The product could be sold right next to the potato chips, the condoms, the cannabis or the tequila. YCT529 infused ice cream or yoghurt is another possibility. The advertisements for the product would be a gold mine for comedy and comedians.
I publish New Era Drug Policy Newsletter every Monday morning. Back issues at reclassify.org. Absolutely, there will be fake abortion pills coming soon. The real ones are expensive.
Drug dealers in Brazil have been selling abortion pills to women since 1998 when the pills were made illegal along with severe penalties for possession:
Methotrexate, a “gold standard” drug used to treat rheumatic illnesses, inflammatory bowel disease, psoriasis and cancer is the new candidate for upstart drug smuggling entrepreneurs. The drug is coming under fire from anti-abortionists because it also acts as an abortifacient in cases of ectopic pregnancies:
CBD is the new pain reliever for operations involving rotator cuff repair: