Here are the key statistics from the latest Angus Reid Public Opinion Poll.
- 55% support the legalization of marijuana, with greatest support from:
- Democrats: 63%
- Independents: 61%
- Men: 57%
- Aged 35-54: 57%
- 67% think the “War on Drugs” has been a failure… however
- Only 10% support legalizing ecstasy
- 9% powder cocaine
- 8% heroin
- 7% meth
- 7% crack cocaine
- 64% think America has a serious drug abuse problem that affects the whole country
There are some important points we can gather from this:
- Democrats (the voters) support marijuana legalization, even though Democrats (the politicians) do not. The challenge here is to get it to rise to more than support, but a crucial voting issue.
- We’ve done a great job of demonstrating the failures of the drug war to the citizens, but we still have a long way to go to convince them that legalization of all drugs isn’t surrender, but a solution.
- If close to 2/3 of Americans think that we have a serious drug abuse problem, then we, as reformers, need to do a better job of showing how reform can address that problem.